Friday, January 19, 2007

Life with Violet

I have been meaning to post something here for days but being a mother to a newborn has turned out to be more all consuming than I could have imagined and believe me I tried! (all you mothers and fathers out there are getting a good chuckle I'm sure...) I managed to get about 7 hours sleep last night so I feel like a normal human being today and finally have the energy to write something.

I just wanted to send our love and thanks to everyone for your best wishes for our little bundle of joy. We have had an amazing week with Violet. She has truly changed our lives. I can't wait for everyone to meet her - if you think she is great in pictures, just wait until you get to see her in person!

Jon has taken to fatherhood like a pro. Violet is totally smitten with him already and vice versa, obviously. He is so relaxed and loving. He has no prior baby experience but you would never know it. He is king of diaper changes and master baby settler - he has a great technique that puts her to sleep in minutes!

He was also the most amazing labour coach any woman could have asked for and I will be forever grateful for the way he handled everything. My labour was reletively quick and painful (back labour) and the pushing was long and absolutely agonizing. Jon needed to help me through a lot of pain and fear and he was magnificent. After 3 hours of pushing she still wouldn't budge so we had to opt for a c-section. Jon later told me how terrifying it was to watch me in so much pain and then to think of me having major surgery but he never showed any fear to me during the whole process, he was my rock and that was exactly what I needed. I had no idea of the stress and fear he was feeling. He is such an amazing husband and now an amazing father and his 2 girls are totally in love with him.

So our first week with little Violet has been full of many ups and a couple of downs, unbelievable happiness and a little stress, sleep and lack of sleep (pretty normal for baby's first week I suppose). We are just in constant wonder and amazement of everything Violet. What can I tell you about her? Well:
- she has started focusing her beautiful little eyes and seems to look right into your soul when you are talking to her
- her hair has started to lighten and is now light brown with some blond highlights showing through
- she had some major troubles with nursing in her first days home and she had her mom and dad totally stressed that she would never eat again but luckily we got some help and she is now eating like a little piggy. Literally, she gulps milk down, it is soooo cute!
- she is a power pooper - as soon as she starts eating she evacuates the last meal with gusto (smelly and noisy). She has already blasted one across the nursery when Jon was mid-diaper change - managed to hit the wall which is at least 3 feet away.
- she smells so great (when she doesn't have a dirty diaper)
- she loves to go for walks - falls asleep instantly
- she is a great cuddler

I could go on and on but then what would I have to write next time?

I know there are no pictures on this post but I am leaving that to daddy to take care of - many more pictures of our little angel to come.

Love to all, Christine

3 comments:

  1. hi christine, the mutual love,trust and respect that you and jon share so generously with one another, will/is assiting you in creating the loving family unit that you have in mind... your sleep will satbilize in a new way...you learn to live with less and violet will help to train you to sleep when she naps... you will become each others greatest teachers.. so happy the nursing experience is engaging and some routines are being established. it can be mind boggling to be so devoted,so intimate and so in love with someone you only met a week ago.. sounds like you are all doing a beautiful job...elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi everyone,

    Congratulations!! Your baby girl is beautiful. I cannot get over her size. Hats off to you Christy!! This is such a wonderful idea, with the blog. You will have to get in touch with us when you come home the next time and we will get our girls together. Neleigha will be much older but we can still have mommy time!! Take care and drop me a line anytime. lorenald@yahoo.com or lorena.dunne@mrsbgroup.com
    Take care and lots of love, Lorena, Mike, Cameron and Neleigha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gleed Family,
    I just love looking at your pictures and reading your thoughts. I feel really happy to be included in this special time in your life. You all look so happy and Violet really is gorgeous. Thank you for keeping us involved.
    Lots of love
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete